HOW TO SELECT A POOL CONTRACTOR
Before you take the plunge into swimming pool construction…
Hiring a contractor to build a pool is not something you do every day. In CA, any contracting job- including swimming pool construction or repair- that costs $500 or more must be performed by a contractor who holds a current, valid contractors license. One of the best ways to select a licensed swimming pool contractor is to seek out personal recommendations from friends and family.
Some questions to ask:
Were you satisfied with the contractor’s work?
Did the contractor complete items on project schedule?
Did the contractor maintain the contract terms and costs?
Did the contractor resolve problems?
10 TIPS TO SELECT THE RIGHT CONTRACTOR
1. Hire only licensed contractors
2. Check the contractors’ license number at www.cslb.ca.gov
3. Obtain 3 references
4. Get 3 bids (ensure each bid is based on the same plans and descriptions)
5. Request a written contract
6. Pay no more than 2% or $200 down
7. Make progress payments for completed work only
8. Request Lien Releases for paid portions of the project
9. Don’t pay cash
10. Keep a file of all papers relating to your project